Mudgee’s Robert Stein Wines has enjoyed a stunning fortnight on the wine show circuit, winning a staggering 18 Trophies and 13 Gold medals, culminating with the ‘Best Riesling of the Show’ at the 2021 Sydney Royal Wine Show held just last week.
The Douglas Lamb Perpetual Trophy for the Best Riesling has been awarded awarded to the 2016 Robert Stein Dry Riesling; the second time that Robert Stein Winery and this wine has won the best Riesling at this prestigious show.
“It’s really something special to win this Trophy with a Mudgee Riesling, but to back to it up at the following show, with a new panel of judges, is truly wonderful,” said winemaker and owner Jacob Stein.
“We’ve been concentrating on Riesling for a long time, but to win this trophy again is further proof of how serious we are as a small but quality focused wine grower.
“This was a surreal fortnight, and an excellent end to a tough 2021 year. We have a great team, from the vineyard to the winery and in our cellar door. It is the culmination of three generations of work. I’m so glad we have been recognised again for what is a fabulous wine that we are very proud of.
“Our Mudgee Wine Show results show our strength across numerous varieties. Whilst Riesling is a real passion for us, we direct as much attention to other varieties that do well in Mudgee, such as Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay. Our years of focusing on vineyard and soil health across all our blocks is paying dividends”.
Robert Stein Wines is starting to spread its vinous wings, with fruit for the 2021 Robert Stein Half Dry Riesling sourced from one of the premier growers in Orange.
“Demand for our Rieslings is gaining traction, so we are selecting fruit from like-minded growers, outside of Mudgee. Orange is a logical and exciting addition to our Riesling, with the variety also doing well in the cooler climate.”
The 2016 Robert Stein Dry Riesling is due for release as a museum wine in 2022 and is expected to be in high demand. The full range of Robert Stein 2021 Rieslings is now available for sale.
Sydney Royal Wine Show 2021
- The Douglas Lamb Perpetual Trophy for the Best Riesling – 2016 Robert Stein Dry Riesling
Mudgee Wine Show 2021
- Champion Wine of Show
- Most Successful Exhibitor Trophy (Robert Stein Winery)
- Winemaker of the Year Trophy (Jacob Stein)
- Most Outstanding White Wine
- Most Outstanding Sweet Wine of Show
- Best Museum White Wine Perpetual Trophy
- Trophy For Best Chardonnay
- Trophy for The Best Cabernet Sauvignon
- Best White Wine Not Chardonnay or Semillon
- Plus 6 Trophies for wine made for other Mudgee clients
Australian Highland Wine Show
- Best White Wine of the Show – 2021 Robert Stein Half Dry Riesling (Orange Region)
- Best Riesling of the Show – 2021 Robert Stein Half Dry Riesling (Orange Region)
Distribution: Robert Stein wines are distributed by Red+White and are available at their cellar door and at robertstein.com.au
For further information, interviews, samples, or images please contact:
- David Cumming at Define Wine Marketing & Communications: 0414 736 342 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jacob Stein at Robert Stein Wines: 02 6373 3991 or email@example.com
Robert Stein Wines can trace their winemaking history back to 1838, when the famous Macarthur family brought Johann Stein to Australia with the country’s first cuttings of Rhine Riesling. These vines flourished at Camden Park under Johann’s careful watch. 138 years later, in 1976, Robert ‘Bob’ Stein purchased 75 acres in Mudgee and renewed the Stein passion for viticulture. Jacob is the third-generation winemaker and was named 2012 Gourmet Traveller Young Winemaker of the Year as well as awarded Mudgee Winemaker of the Year in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021. The 2016 Robert Stein Dry Riesling was awarded the Trophy for the Best Riesling at the 2019 and 2021 Sydney Royal Wine Show.